In this article we explain why you need to verify the identification of a new worker.
You are legally required to verify the identification of a new worker when they work their first shift at your business. If a worker has worked for you before, this is no longer necessary.
To verify the identification of the worker, you need to check the following details:
- Name, address and place
- Place of birth
- Social Citizen Number (BSN)
- If necessary; residence permit, employment permit, A1 or VAR statement
You also need to check the identification document for:
- passport photo: does this correspond with the worker in front of you?
- characteristics: are height and age correct?
- signature: you can ask the worker to sign on a piece of paper
- nationality: is the nationality stated?
- document validity: has the expiry date not yet expired?
Be aware that the worker needs to bring a valid identification document stating Social Citizen Number (BSN) and nationality. A driving license is therefore not a valid document.
You are not allowed to make a copy of the identification document, unless the worker has a nationality outside the European Economic Area.
However, you can record the data for your own administration.